Interesting facts about Iya Gbonkan.
When it comes to Yoruba films, ‘Iya Gbonkan’ is a household name. Iya Gbonkan’s performances in special characters have remained intriguing and daring to this day, ranging from the wicked leader of the occult to the fantastic mother who suckles the blood of her own children in movies.
7 Interesting facts about Iya Gbonkan.
- Margaret Bandele Olayinka is Iya Gbonkan’s true name.
- Duro Ladipo was her first mentor when she began her performing arts training. Performances were primarily delivered on stage at this time.
- In the early 1970s, Iya Gbonkan made her film debut in the IFA OLOKUN TV series, directed by Yemi Elebubon.
- Her father worked as a trader in Ibadan, and she is also her mother’s only child.
- She came to Ibadan to work as a housemaid after abandoning her homeland owing to a series of mistreatment by a relative of her father. With her father’s knowledge, she worked as a maid in Ibadan.
- She is from Oyo state’s Otu, Itesiwaju local government. Her mother is also from Iseyin, in the state of Oyo.
- Iya Gbonkan made her breakthrough in Yekini Ajileye’s productions.